ReoGrid Forum

Fast and powerful .NET Spreadsheet Component

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum has been archived and no longer accepts new user registrations. Please report your questions, problems, and feedback to the issue page of ReoGrid on GitHub. Thank you for your cooperation.

https://github.com/unvell/ReoGrid/issues

#1 2015-10-20 19:04:43

CopyPaul

Dll Needed to install solution

I have a VS project that uses the grid. Works fine on the developping PC, where I referenced the library

I compile a release version and wanted to install the project on a second computer. I copied the unvell.ReoGrid.dll to the second computer (windows\system32 folder) and try and install it via

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\unvell.ReoGrid.dll and received the following error message:  The module c:\windows\system32\unvell.ReoGrid.dll was loaded but the entry point DllRegisterServer was not found.    Make sure that ...dll is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again.

Am I using the wrong dll?

Thanks for the assistance.

Paul

#2 2015-10-20 19:33:36

alexeyrlx
Website

Re: Dll Needed to install solution

Hi Paul

Do you have a bad idea.
Reogrid not a COM object and is not a component ActiveX.

Therefore, you can not put it in the system folder, and you can not register.

This feature of the platform .Net.

The documents on the .Net stated that dynamically linked libraries .Net, which include Reogrid, have a completely different structure and are connected in another way.

Place unvell.reogrid.dll in the same folder as the executable file of your application, connect it to your project and use. To transfer to a different computer, copy unvell.reogrid.dll with the executable file.

Link to .Net dll stored in your executable file, so the relationship between them remains, and when copying to a different computer.
But make sure that the other computer has installed the correct version of .Net.
If you build a program with .NetFramework 4.0, at the other computer must have this version .Net

See more here (installing to your computer):  https://reogrid.net/document/installation/

And my advice to you: read the tutorial on programming languages .Net - that you do not interfere with such problems in the future ;-)

Last edited by alexeyrlx (2015-10-20 20:01:18)

My English is perfect! (My version of the English language ;-) )

#3 2015-10-23 17:39:37

CopyPaul

OK, thank you.  Here  is the problem I have. When I came across the grid, I've installed it in my project and it seemed to work until I needed to programatically populate the grid, I had problems referencing sheets.  I posted a question and I was helped by the moderator (Jing) that determined that I had downloaded 0.8.5, and I needed to be using 0.8.9.3. In Visual Studio I removed the reference to unvell.ReoGrid, downloaded (the same way but a few days after my original download) and got 0.8.9.3 and was able to proceed with the coding on my developing PC. 

Now that I want to install the solution on the second PC and copied the 0.8.9.3 dll to the second computer I am getting an error that "could not find 0.8.5 dll" and it bails out of the application.  In my solution I've checked the reference and it is 0.8.9.3, the path points to 0.8.9.3, the packages.config (nuget) references 0.8.9.3 and I am at a loss.   

I know that this is probably more of a visual studio question but can anyone shed some light on how to fix this problem?

#4 2015-10-23 18:44:13

alexeyrlx
Website

Try the following steps. I've had similar problems in other projects (without Reogrid).

1. Run Visual Studio with this project
2. Open window of project's properties
3. Go to tab with references
4. Delete all references to dlls of Reogrid
5. Delete all files of Reogrid from folder bin (debug/release)
6. Copy to folder bin (debug/release) files of Reogrid (new, 0.9.0)
7. Add reference to new library
8. Rebuild solution (it is a problem of Visual Studio, maybe it in other projects) 1-2 times. (Not a "Build")
9. Debug your code and "Compile" (.Net use byte-code, it is fake, not a machine's code).
10. Check installed versions of .Net on both PCs
11. Copy your program to other PC.

#5 2015-10-24 16:25:27

CopyPaul

Thank you Alex, it did the trick.  Now I noticed when I've downloaded 0.9.0 that there is a paid version that allows for showing floating images. I am doing this right now, but I had to code it and it comes out as a new "form". I do need to handle pdfs so I detect if the file being opened is a pdf or another format like .jpg, .bmp, .png. or .tiff.  It is not an elegant solution, do you know what the dll means by "image" and the cost?

#6 2015-10-24 19:40:51

alexeyrlx
Website

Each new version comes Reogrid optimization code. Therefore, there may be some changes.

File Formats jpg, bmp, png I open means .Net. (properties  backgroundimage or image of form, picturebox or label).
File formats tiff(tif) and pdf I don't use in my projects.

Try searching here: http://csharp-source.net/open-source/pdf-libraries

#7 2015-10-27 16:12:15

CopyPaul

Hey Alex, here is how I am showing  .pdf in my project. I am storing the path in SqlServer and prior to invoking ShowImage I check the file is still there ...

private void ShowImage_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            if (zpath.Contains(".pdf") || zpath.Contains(".PDF"))
            {
                pictureBox1.Hide();
                webBrowser1.Show();
                webBrowser1.Navigate(zpath);
            }

Disclaimer - every time I post code in sites like stackoverflow there is always someone trying to show me a better way to do a case insensitive comparison with a Regex or other "better mousetrap" solution. I usually do what is faster to code and don't believe I would get such better performance with other solutions...

#8 2015-10-28 07:02:43

alexeyrlx
Website

1.  To work with file names there is a class Fileinfo (see MSDN)
2.  Not all browsers have built-in file viewer pdf format. Built-in Visual Studio WebBrowser control is an add-in Internet Explorer. Therefore, to view this file type is better to use a more reliable solution.
3.  We are considering the topic is already far gone beyond the discussion component Reogrid.
Please discuss in this forum only issues related to Reogrid. Answers to other questions can be found in many fine books on programming languages C#/VB, and on MSDN. In MSDN there were good examples for beginners (many of them even work ;-) ).
I liked the books by Charles Petzold. He is good at explaining.

#9 2015-11-07 01:04:31

CopyPaul

Sorry Alex, have not replied on account of work. I have another issue, which I'll post and just want to make a comment here. The solution works fine with Chrome and IExplorer, don't have firefox installed so I did not test it. Maybe I misunderstood your comments. I know and use FileInfo, I am passing the file path name and just wanted to check whether or not it was a PDF.

As far as Charles Petzold, the last book I used of his was in the 90's (sorry to show my age). Yes, he is good at explaining things.

Thanks for your help.

Paul

#10 2015-11-07 09:22:16

alexeyrlx
Website

Browsers.  In the Firefox user can disable the built-in document viewer pdf. But that is another story)
In older versions of Internet Explorer this function was not.  Therefore, if you are developing a project that will use the users of earlier versions, they can not understand you: the browser will offer to open a document using another program.
More, there are users who use Internet Explorer 6 (Windows XP) %-) There .Net uses this version by default component Webbrowser)) (Into Windows XP, sometimes in newer versions, using a "compatibility mode with earlier versions"
often illogical mechanism of Internet Explorer 7-11).

Literature. The main thing - that the author of the book is well described how it works .Net. And it works on unusual rules for Programmers 80-90-ies of the 20th century)

FileInfo. To ensure that the program was able to work with other versions of the character case extensions that users sometimes find, yet useful method is tolower: (strext.tolower) extension pdf, PDF, PdF, pDF will be processed correctly.

What about my remark (https://reogrid.net/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=670#p670): in any thematic forum "do not like" extraneous issues. So please do not be offended)

Last edited by alexeyrlx (2015-11-07 09:26:58)

#11 2015-11-07 18:14:59

CopyPaul

Yes Alex, you are right I should have used the .tolower to guarantee that the extension was detected.

I was using a library to create an image from a pdf via code and the jpg being created was not a full image (always missing the part close to the right margin of the image), found the webbrowser option and it works fine for my environment (this is an internal app and I do have control over which browsers and which versions)

I am developing this app as my time permits (work comes first...) so I don't have a lot of time to do my research and develop a bullet proof app.

Again thanks for your good points.

Paul

Board footer